Banana Berry Muffins Recipe
In Pembina, North Dakota, Alyce Wyman bakes up these moist muffins with a sweet nut topping. “The original recipe called for bran cereal with raisins,” she says. “But I was out of that cereal one day, so I used plain bran flakes and added blueberries instead of raisins. Now I always make it this way.”
- 4 cups bran flakes
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, combine bran flakes and buttermilk; set aside.
- 2. In another large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla (mixture will appear curdled).
- 3. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually stir into creamed mixture just until moistened. Stir in bran mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full.
- 4. Combine the pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 218 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 249 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC