- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-3/4 to 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°/ In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in bananas.
- Spread into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (do not overbake). Cool.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Gradually beat in enough confectioners' sugar to achieve desired consistency. Frost bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 3-4 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Banana Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
"These were a giant hit at my house. My 3 daughters each have boyfriends and they all loved them. The sour cream made them so moist. I may use 3 bananas next time and I know I'd love some nuts in them. I did find that as delicious as they were right after frosting them, they were even better the next day! I think the flavors got more intense as it sat overnight. Only lasted till the second day!"
"i really liked this recipes cause it only has... 96 mg of sodium and when u go to make this - use unsalted butter! I added some applesauce and some roasted pecans and every1... Loved it!"
"Fabulous! Moist and tender. My daughter who doesn't care for banana loved these. I was shy some banana and used applesauce. Will make again. This replaces beloved favorite banana cake recipe."
"Big hit at work. Everyone loved them and asked for the recipe. I added chopped walnuts to the top of the frosting. I also cut back on the confectionary sugar to 2 1/2 cups. I used 3 bananas."
"This is a good recipe. I tried it using a muffin-top pan (350? for 20 minutes). It was easy to make, also."
"I just added raisins and nuts. Delish"
"Reminds me of when I was a kid!??"
"These were absolutely delicious. I didn't make the homemade frosting (used a canned cream cheese frosting) but the bars were perfect! My whole family loved them and my son in law said "these are the best things I've ever eaten" !!! Raves all around"
"This recipe is so simple and so delicious! These are my go to when someone wants something banana. I don't hardly ever make banana bread anymore!"
"My family raves about this recipe."