- to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gently fold
- into batter. Pour into three greased 9-in. round baking pans. Bake
- at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool for 10
- minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Divide applesauce and spread over two cake layers. Dip bananas in
- lemon juice; arrange over applesauce. Stack on serving plate with
- plain layer on top.
- For frosting, in a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, egg
- whites, water, cream of tartar and salt over low heat. With a hand
- mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over
- low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 8-10 minutes.
- Pour into a large bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high until stiff peaks
- form, about 7 minutes. Frost sides and top of cake. Sprinkle with
- coconut. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 332 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 191 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.