- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 beef flat iron steak or top sirloin steak (3/4 pound)
- 1 package (9 ounces) ready-to-serve salad greens
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 radishes, sliced
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese, optional
- Additional coarsely ground pepper, optional
- In a small bowl, whisk the first six ingredients until blended. Pour half of the marinade into a small resealable plastic bag. Add beef; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade for dressing.
- Drain beef, discarding marinade in bag. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Cut into 1/4-in. slices.
- Divide salad greens among four plates. Top with tomatoes, radishes, avocado and beef; sprinkle with cranberries and, if desired, cheese. Serve with reserved dressing and, if desired, additional pepper. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Balsamic Steak Salad
"Amazing salad and very pretty. Looked and tasted like something you would get from a high end restaurant. Yum"
"Made this salad for dinner last evening. Delicious and filling. Only changes I made was to add minced garlic and lime juice, instead of lemon, to the balsamic dressing. Served with crusty bread and Pinot Grigio. Excellent."