My husband loves blue cheese and I like a hearty salad that eats like a meal, so I put the two things together to make this salad. The sweet-tartness of dried cranberries pairs deliciously with the cheese, creamy avocado and balsamic vinegar. It's irresistible! —Marla Clark, Albuquerque, New Mexico
Featured In: 33 Bright Winter Salads
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 beef flat iron steak or top sirloin steak (3/4 pound)
- 1 package (9 ounces) ready-to-serve salad greens
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 radishes, sliced
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese, optional
- Additional coarsely ground pepper, optional
- In a small bowl, whisk the first six ingredients until blended. Pour half of the marinade into a small resealable plastic bag. Add beef; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade for dressing.
- Drain beef, discarding marinade in bag. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Cut into 1/4-in. slices.
- Divide salad greens among four plates. Top with tomatoes, radishes, avocado and beef; sprinkle with cranberries and, if desired, cheese. Serve with reserved dressing and, if desired, additional pepper. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Balsamic Steak Salad in Light Recipes 2015, px
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Balsamic Steak Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 7, 2016
"Amazing salad and very pretty. Looked and tasted like something you would get from a high end restaurant. Yum"