Balsamic Roast Chicken Recipe
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium red onions, chopped
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Mix rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. Place onions in a roasting pan; place chicken over onions, breast side up.
- 2. Pat chicken dry. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from chicken; rub rosemary mixture under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together.
- 3. Mix wine and vinegar; pour over chicken. Roast 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.)
- 4. Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Transfer onion and pan drippings to a small bowl; skim fat. Remove and discard skin from chicken before serving. Serve with onion sauce. Yield: 12 servings (1-1/2 cups onion sauce).
3 ounces cooked chicken (skin removed) with 2 tablespoons sauce: 182 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 275mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat.
Reviews for Balsamic Roast Chicken
"Very good.. I used chicken broth..Mary@penniesfordreams.com"
"Moist and tasty! Made as-is and would not recommend any changes."
"I used a 4-1/2 lb chicken and made it as is except for cooking it in an oven bag. It came out very moist and was done in 1-3/4 hours. The next time I would cut back on the balsamic vinegar a bit and not use so much red onion. I thickened the sauce w/ cornstarch and added more low sodium chicken broth. It was tastier the next day and I would make again."
"Delicious. I used brandy (because that was all I had) with the balsamic vinegar and it was wonderful. I think a hearty Burgundy would be even better. Have added to my "Company's Coming" cookbook."
"AMAZING! Turned out beautifully . Very tasty ."
"This is the best and is so easy! A new family favorite. Made exactly as written and everyone loved it!"
"I made this for first time tonight. We just LOVE IT! So simple, not a lot of ingredients. Taste so yummy! I made it exactly with the exception I had a red bell pepper that needed using. So I added the bell pepper with the onion. Then about an hour before it was done, I added in some baking potatoes cut in half. Then half hour later I added some frozen, crinkle cut carrots. On using the wine or the broth, I did half and half. I will certainly make this again! Thanks for posting it!"
"Wow! The cooked sauce reminds a lot apple sauce. So Tasty!"
"I used Madeira wine instead of chicken broth or red wine because that is what I had on hand. Thought this was very flavorful especially with the onion sauce. Will definitely make again!"
"never changed A thing it was Wonderful"
"I prepared this for the first time yesterday. I used sweet onion in place of the red onion. Otherwise, I followed the recipe. My family loved it!"
"Since I tried this recipe It became a family favorite. Very delicious. Thanks for sharing:)"
"Excellent! Perfect for my family"
"I've made this recipe twice now & I must say it is one that we will make over & over.The first time I made it with the whole roasting chicken, it was fabulous, yummy, deslish, even though I didn't have the amount of onions it called for. Hubby loved it, kids loved it.Tonight I made it with boneless skinless breasts. I added a tiny bit of EVOO to the herb mixture before smearing it on the chicken that I punctured first so some of the herbs would go in the meat. They were moist & tender. I used a combo of 1/2 large yellow onion & 1 medium red onion, I didn't have wine or broth, so I sub'd apple juice."
"I marinated mine overnight and the herb mix under the skin was fabulous."
"Good easy recipe. If you want a crispier skin, adjust cooking time to 15 minutes on 450 degrees. Then lower to 350 degrees and cook 20 minutes per pound."
"this chicken was great it was so juicey and delicious the whole family loved it and its hard to find something they all like"
"Excellent as is!"
"Add some butter beneath the skin of the chicken on the breasts to get juicer white meat."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.