Add an unexpected taste to grilled vegetables with a glaze made with balsamic vinegar, fresh herbs and some honey and brown sugar. The fabulous veggies are paired with barley to make a healthy and deletable side.—Carly Curtin, Ellicott City, Maryland
Recommended: 99 of Our Favorite Chicken Dinner Ideas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups balsamic vinegar, divided
- 3 medium yellow summer squash, quartered and cut into 1-inch slices
- 3 medium zucchini, quartered and cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the oil, salt and 1/4 cup vinegar. Add yellow squash, zucchini and tomatoes; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, honey, thyme, rosemary, garlic powder and remaining vinegar. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Discard thyme and rosemary; set glaze aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Meanwhile, drain vegetables and discard marinade. Place vegetables in a grill wok or basket. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 8-12 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently and brushing occasionally with glaze.
- Remove barley from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Transfer to a large serving bowl. Add vegetables and basil; toss to coat. Serve warm with a slotted spoon. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Balsamic Grilled Vegetable and Barley Salad in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2011, p62
Reviews for Balsamic Grilled Vegetable and Barley Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review