Balsamic Chicken and Peppers
Valerie Moore of Olathe, Kansas likes using a colorful blend of peppers to brighten her skillet specialty—and a little balsamic vinegar to flavor the tender chicken. If you prefer a stronger flavor, add a little more!
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 each medium sweet yellow, red and orange peppers, julienned
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Sprinkle chicken with pepper and salt. In a large skillet, cook
- chicken in 1 tablespoon oil for 4-6 minutes on each side or until a
- meat thermometer reads 170°; drain. Remove chicken and keep
- In the same skillet, saute peppers and onion in remaining oil for 3-4
- minutes or until tender. Return chicken to the pan. Add vinegar;
- heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 chicken breast half with 1 cup peppers equals 220 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 133 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.