- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 celery ribs with leaves, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium turnips, peeled and quartered
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 325°. Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Brown roast on all sides. Remove from pan.
- Add celery, carrots and onion to the same pan; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add turnips, sweet potato and garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in broth, vinegar and herbs. Return roast to pan; bring to a boil. Bake, covered, 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove beef and vegetables; keep warm. Discard herbs from cooking juices; skim fat. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with pot roast and vegetables. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Balsamic Braised Pot Roast
Sort By :
It had me at balsamic vinegar. What a delicous and temder roast. I never can get my husband to eat sweet potatoes unless they are with this dish.
We really enjoyed this recipe. I added some fresh mushrooms and baby red potatoes. The next time I might cut down on the balsamic by just a smidge. I will make this recipe many times over.
I loved it, but my kids did not like it at all. I thought it had really good flavor and loved the sweet potatoes in it. I doubled the sweet potato and didn't use any turnips.
Good twist to a traditional classic! My husband really liked the sweet potato addition. One thing I changed was I slow cooked this recipe in the crock pot for 8 hours on low.
This recipe was nasty. Nobody ate it will never make this again.