Baklava with Honey Syrup Recipe
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1 package (16 ounces, 14x9-inch sheet size) frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 2 cups finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Coat a 13x9-in. baking pan with cooking spray. Unroll phyllo dough; trim to fit into pan.
- 2. Layer two sheets of phyllo dough in prepared pan, spritz with cooking spray. Repeat three times. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons nuts. Top with two sheets of phyllo and spritz with cooking spray. Repeat layering with nuts, phyllo and cooking spray 10 times. Top with remaining phyllo dough, spritzing every other sheet with cooking spray.
- 3. Using a sharp knife, cut into 30 triangles. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine syrup ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour over warm baklava. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and let stand for several hours or overnight. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 piece equals 136 calories, 7 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 67 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Baklava with Honey Syrup
"The syrup is not enough to cover the dough... I think it is missing water! Normally a baklava syrup includes 3/4 cup of water. I had to remake the syrup and finally ended up using the syrup recipe that I already had.3/4 cup sugar3/4 cup water1/3 cup honey2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice2 teaspoons cinnamon"