Baking Powder Drop Biscuits Recipe
One day I had company coming and realized I had run out of biscuit mix. I'd never made biscuits from scratch before, but I decided to give this recipe a try. Now this is the only way I make them!
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk milk and egg. Stir into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Drop by heaping spoonfuls 2 in. apart onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Baking Powder Drop Biscuits in Best of Country Breads 2000, p102
Reviews for Baking Powder Drop Biscuits(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review