Baking Powder Biscuits
WHEN I was growing up, Mother made these wonderful biscuits often.
Some time ago, I consulted her box of old recipes and was delighted to find this childhood favorite. Now these warm and tender biscuits are a special treat for my family, too.
-Catherine Yoder, Bertha, Minnesota
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat egg
- and milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut
- with a 2-1/2-in. floured biscuit cutter. Place 1 in. apart on an
- ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until
- golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 10 biscuits.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 206 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 253 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.