Baking Mix Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- 2. Quick Baking Mix may be used to prepare the following recipes (also found in Recipe Finder): Cinnamon Coffee Cake, Sausage 'n' Egg Biscuits and Lime Cheesecake. Yield: 3-1/2 cups.
1/4 cup: 186 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 312mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Baking Mix
"where do I find the recipes for making pancakes or muffins or coffee cake with this mix???"
"I made this last year out of your magazine And we just love it for biscuit's. & pancakes, better than Bisquick."
"Hi, mwsissie! Please see this site for some help on shortening substitutions: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/substitutes-for-shortening.html I was thinking lard would be a good substitute as well. If you use butter or margarine it would need to be stored in the fridge or freezer. I do miss the Pommes over there! Best of luck with the mix!"
"Great idea! But in my country we don't have shortening! The only solid vegetable fat is only to bake fries in and really not nice to eat! It's not made to use in cakes or cookies or stuff like that. In case you're wondering.....i'm from the Netherlands in Europe. My question is....can i use butter or margarine? Thanks in advance for answeing! :-)Thank you very much for replying and excuses for my late reply! But we don't have lard either! That do they use in the UK. But can i use solid coconutoil? I've heard they use it a lot for baking lately!Have you been to my country? You said you miss the Pommes. Do you mean the Pommes Frites? I think your fris are much better than our frites! We've been to Florida in last September, so that's why i know! And you guys make the best burgers! Much better than McD. Or BK. Much better! And thanks again for your reply! :-)"