I prepare the sauce ahead of time, so it saves precious moments when we come in after working out in the fields!—Barbara Johnson, Decker, Indiana
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 pounds plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 15 tomatoes)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces uncooked ziti
- 2 cups( 8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, salt, basil and pepper. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook ziti according to package directions; drain. Place in a large bowl. Stir in sauce and 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Baked Ziti with Fresh Tomatoes in Country Ground Beef 1993, p50
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Baked Ziti with Fresh Tomatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review