- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 pounds plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 15 tomatoes)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces uncooked ziti
- 2 cups( 8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, salt, basil and pepper. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook ziti according to package directions; drain. Place in a large bowl. Stir in sauce and 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Baked Ziti with Fresh Tomatoes
Sort By :
"I didn't have 15 tomatoes, I had 2. I used those, one 15oz can organic tomato sauce and one can of diced tomatoes. I also added 2 large minced garlic cloves to the beef and onion. It was very good. As mentioned, it is salty - but we like salty - if you don't I'd cut back on what is recommended."
"Tomatoes and pasta was good. The meat and salt together was a little too salty. Next time I'd either half the salt or take it out altogether"
"This was good after I anticipated the errors in this recipe and fixed them ahead of time. With this much acid, you need sugar. I added a tsp of sugar and Italian seasoning in addition to the basil. Also, I used canned diced tomatoes. Who has time to peel, chop & deseed tomatoes? Suppose if I had a garden this would be a good way to use my tomatoes."
"I really enjoyed this recipe and will be adding this to my recipe box. I did not change anything in the recipe."
"While fresh tomatoes are delicious, if you are pressed for time you can use drained canned tomatoes. Also I substituted sausage which added a little kick to it. It was delicious."