Baked Ziti with Fresh Tomatoes Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 pounds plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 15 tomatoes)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces uncooked ziti
- 2 cups( 8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, salt, basil and pepper. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook ziti according to package directions; drain. Place in a large bowl. Stir in sauce and 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Baked Ziti with Fresh Tomatoes(22)
Sort By :
Tomatoes and pasta was good. The meat and salt together was a little too salty. Next time I'd either half the salt or take it out altogether
This was good after I anticipated the errors in this recipe and fixed them ahead of time. With this much acid, you need sugar. I added a tsp of sugar and Italian seasoning in addition to the basil. Also, I used canned diced tomatoes. Who has time to peel, chop & deseed tomatoes? Suppose if I had a garden this would be a good way to use my tomatoes.
I really enjoyed this recipe and will be adding this to my recipe box. I did not change anything in the recipe.
While fresh tomatoes are delicious, if you are pressed for time you can use drained canned tomatoes. Also I substituted sausage which added a little kick to it. It was delicious.
Made this with Italian Sausage and Burpee's Fresh Salsa that I froze last fall. Granddaughter gave 5 stars. I will make it this summer when I have fresh tomatoes. Uf Dah!
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Pasta >
- Baked Ziti >
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Pasta Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Hamburger Casserole >