Baked Ziti Main Dish Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces ziti, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Place ziti in an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Cover with sauce.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with both cheeses. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 248 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 458 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 11 g protein.
Reviews for Baked Ziti Main Dish
"Since we're Catholic, we still observe "meatless" Fridays. With six children, coming up with such suppers was a challenge. This was one dish that everyone loved! The kids are all grown now, but this is still one of their favorite recipes! Easy to make, & delicious! We've been enjoying it since it was first published in 1993!"
"This dish is good, except I would tweak it a bit:First, diced tomatoes without any kind of "binder" just doesn't work in this dish. You need to add one 8-ounce can of tomato sauce, which will help thicken it a bit. Also, add about 1 tsp of sugar to offset the acid of the tomato sauce. Next, add 1 tsp of ground cumin, increase salt to 1 teaspoon, add 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, and increase oregano and basil to 1 1/2 teaspoons EACH. Let simmer for 20 minutes, at which time the sauce will be thickened. If you want to add meat to this dish, you can sautee 1 pound of ground beef with the onions and garlic. Cook until meat is no longer pink. Be sure to drain it before adding the sauce."