Baked Ziti and Sausage Recipe
- 3 cups uncooked ziti or other small tube pasta
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage links
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; place in a large bowl. In a small skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and cut into 1/2-in. slices.
- 2. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Pour over pasta; toss to coat.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the egg, cottage cheese, parsley, and remaining Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Spoon half of the pasta mixture into a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with cottage cheese mixture. Add sausage to the remaining pasta mixture; spoon over the top. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and paprika.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Baked Ziti and Sausage
"This was easy enough and was good. My kids weren't fond of it but the hubby loved it!"
"we didn't care for this so wont make again"
"Everyone loved this will definitely keep this one around great flavor easy to throw together!"
"When I made the white sauce I added some Hollandaise sauce leftover from breakfast and it was magnificent."
"I have a large family so its easy to make and it feeds everyone.I love it."
"The white sauce is a great change from regular baked ziti. Had a good taste."
"I made this recipe with bulk Italian sausage instead of sausage links. Super Yummy! :D"
"This was absolutely delicious! Family loved it!!"
"I ABSOLUTLEY LOVED THIS RECIPE IT HAD A DELICIOUS HOMEMADE TASTE TO IT BUT CAME TOGETHER QUICKLY"
"I have made this recipe with a group on a cooking day and my family liked it so much that I had to find the recipe to make it again. It is very good. I too, added more sausage."
"I made this last night for my family. They gave it a thumbs up. So I will be making it again. I used hot sausage instead of italian. They really enjoy the white sauce instead of the usual spaghetti sauce."
"Love it! One of my mother-in-law's favorites."
"It was pretty tasty but we found that it tasted better after it was re-heated a second time:)"
"The Family Favorite!"
"I made this last night for dinner and the family loved it. I did add more sausage 1 pound and I used hot Italian sausage to kick it up a bit. I also used mixed Italian cheese on top. Overall will be putting this in the dinner rotate."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.