Baked Vegetable Beef Stew Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds beef sirloin tip roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into 12 wedges
- 1 cup cubed peeled rutabaga
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium onion soup mix
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the beef, vegetables, soup mix and seasonings. Seal bag; shake to coat evenly.
- Transfer to an oven-safe Dutch oven or a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray (dish will be very full). Pour water over beef mixture.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour. Stir in tomatoes. Bake, uncovered, 30-50 minutes longer or until beef and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Baked Vegetable Beef Stew
Sort By :
"I always follow the recipe exactly when I make something for the first time. This had good flavor but the meat was really dried out and the veggies undercooked. I even diced them smaller than suggested. I"
"This was very good, and healthy. It wasnt full of salt and other non-staples like other stews. I halved the meat, did a whole package of onion soup mix, doubled the water, and cooked it covered for 2 hours, then uncovered for 25 mins. It made 2 good meals for me and my hubby - he really liked it! The beef was super tender and had lots of nice oniony flavour, the veggies were a little bit softer than I liked but tasted good too! Worth it, I'd definitely make it again."
"This savory stew is worth the time it takes to prep--which was far more than the 10 minutes shown in the recipe. After cleaning, peeling and cutting the vegetables, I would allow about 20-30 minutes for prep. The recipe doesn't make much broth, so consider using 1 to 1.5 cups of water (or beef broth) if your like more liquid. I didn't include the rutabaga, but made the rest of the recipe as written. The 2 teaspoons of dried basil was plenty. We liked it, but you may want to reduce the basil slightly if you want a less pronounced flavor. Finally, I will bake the stew for 2 hours (covered) to ensure all vegetables are well cooked. The 30-40 minute uncovered bake time seems about right. Of course, this could be done in a slow cooker. I would guess 7 hours on low would be about right, but I'll have to test it. Homemade stew lovers should really enjoy this treat!"
"Didn't use the beef. LOVED THIS!!!"
"I made this today...very nice taste although I did put in two packets of soup mix....and twice as much water so I had more broth....very good though"