Baked Swiss Steak
THIS DISH is one of my husband's favorites, so I make it often. It's also a handy recipe - while it's in the oven, you can do other things.
The meat becomes very tender, and the vegetables add delicious flavor.
-Dolores Wynne, Clearwater, Florida
2 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1/2 to 3/4 pound beef top round steak
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons sharp cheddar cheese
- Cut meat into two portions; pound to 1/4-in. thickness. Combine 1
- tablespoon flour and salt; coat meat on both sides. In a skillet,
- brown meat in oil. Transfer meat to a greased shallow 2-qt. baking
- dish; set aside.
- To pan drippings, add tomatoes, carrot, celery, onion, Worcestershire
- sauce and remaining flour. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook
- and stir for 2 minutes. Pour over meat. Cover and bake at 350°
- for 1-1/2 hours or until the meat is tender. Sprinkle with cheese;
- return to the oven until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 392 calories, 19 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 1,066 mg sodium,