Baked Swiss Steak Recipe
- 1/2 to 3/4 pound beef top round steak
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons sharp cheddar cheese
- 1. Cut meat into two portions; pound to 1/4-in. thickness. Combine 1 tablespoon flour and salt; coat meat on both sides. In a skillet, brown meat in oil. Transfer meat to a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- 2. To pan drippings, add tomatoes, carrot, celery, onion, Worcestershire sauce and remaining flour. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Pour over meat. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until the meat is tender. Sprinkle with cheese; return to the oven until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 392 calories, 19 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 1,066 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 30 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.