Baked Sweet Potatoes and Apples
For a pretty and tasty side dish, try this combination of sweet potatoes and apples sprinkled with gingersnap crumbs. It’s one of my favorites to serve with turkey at Thanksgiving and Christmas.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 45 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled, cored and cut into rings
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened apple juice
- 2/3 cup finely crushed gingersnap cookies (about 10 cookies)
- Place the sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Cover and
- bring to a boil; cook for 30 minutes or just until tender. Drain;
- cool slightly. Peel the potatoes and cut into 1/2-in. slices.
- Arrange half of the slices in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Top with the apples and remaining sweet potato slices.
- In a small saucepan, bring the brown sugar, butter and apple juice to
- a boil, stirring constantly. Pour over potatoes and apples. Bake,
- uncovered, at 325° for 30 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Sprinkle with gingersnap crumbs. Bake 15 minutes longer. Yield: 8-10