For a pretty and tasty side dish, try this combination of sweet potatoes and apples sprinkled with gingersnap crumbs. It’s one of my favorites to serve with turkey at Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Recommended: 43 Amazing Ways to Love Sweet Potatoes
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled, cored and cut into rings
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened apple juice
- 2/3 cup finely crushed gingersnap cookies (about 10 cookies)
- Place the sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Cover and bring to a boil; cook for 30 minutes or just until tender. Drain; cool slightly. Peel the potatoes and cut into 1/2-in. slices. Arrange half of the slices in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with the apples and remaining sweet potato slices.
- In a small saucepan, bring the brown sugar, butter and apple juice to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour over potatoes and apples. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30 minutes or until apples are tender. Sprinkle with gingersnap crumbs. Bake 15 minutes longer. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Baked Sweet Potatoes and Apples in Country Extra November 2005, p51
Reviews for Baked Sweet Potatoes and Apples
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review