Baked Sweet Onions
Baking enhances the natural sweetness of my family's favorite Vidalia onions. Perfect alongside beef entrees, this side dish has a similar taste to French onion soup.Ann Yarber, Goldsby, Oklahoma
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 8 large sweet onions, peeled
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup Burgundy wine or beef broth
- 8 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Cut each onion into six wedges to within 1/2 in. of the bottom. Place
- each onion on a piece of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square).
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, wine, bouillon, thyme and
- pepper. Spoon over onions; sprinkle with cheese. Fold foil around
- each onion and seal tightly. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at
- 425° for 40-45 minutes or until onions are tender. Open foil
- carefully to allow steam to escape. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 onion equals 294 calories, 17 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 948 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein.