Baking enhances the natural sweetness of my family's favorite Vidalia onions. Perfect alongside beef entrees, this side dish has a similar taste to French onion soup.—Ann Yarber, Goldsby, Oklahoma
- 8 large sweet onions, peeled
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup Burgundy wine or beef broth
- 8 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Cut each onion into six wedges to within 1/2 in. of the bottom. Place each onion on a piece of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square).
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, wine, bouillon, thyme and pepper. Spoon over onions; sprinkle with cheese. Fold foil around each onion and seal tightly. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 40-45 minutes or until onions are tender. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Baked Sweet Onions in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p24
Reviews for Baked Sweet Onions
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review