"You don't have to fuss to make a special side dish for tow, as this recipe proves," says Sarah Rodgers of West Mifflin, Pennsylvania. "It's so easy to dress up zucchini halves with this flavorful mushroom stuffing."
Recommended: 25 Healthy Zucchini Recipes
- 1 medium zucchini
- 6 large fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash white pepper
- 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. Chop pulp; set shells aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the zucchini pulp, mushrooms and onion in butter for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add wine or broth. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Place zucchini shells in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- Fill shells with mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Baked Stuffed Zucchini in Light & Tasty February/March 2002, p59
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Baked Stuffed Zucchini
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 23, 2011
"This recipe is wonderful. Make it many times every summer."