Baked Stuffed Tomatoes Recipe
Bertille Cooper of St. Inigoes, Maryland says, "My family loves these tasty garden 'containers' filled with rice and ground beef."
- 6 medium fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1. Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Leaving a 1/2-in.-thick shell, scoop out and reserve pulp. Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato pulp, chili powder, sugar, salt, pepper and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 45-50 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Add rice; mix well. Simmer 5-6 minutes longer or until rice is tender. Stuff tomatoes and place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over tomatoes. Add water to baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until crumbs are lightly browned. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 284 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 358mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein .
Reviews for Baked Stuffed Tomatoes
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC