Baked Stuffed Acorn Squash
In Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Mary Magner tucks a flavorful sausage mixture into colorful acorn squash halves. Cooking the squash in the microwave means this entree is done in minutes. “I like to use maple-flavored bulk pork sausage,” Mary notes.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Cut a thin slice from bottom of
- squash with a sharp knife to allow it to sit flat. Place squash cut
- side down in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for
- 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, crumble sausage into a large skillet; add celery and
- onion. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream. Spoon into squash halves.
- Cover and microwave for 1 minute or until heated through. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 371 calories, 25 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 496 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 11 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer