Baked Stew with Root Vegetables Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 celery ribs
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 small rutabaga, peeled
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 3/4 cup flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, brown beef in oil in batches. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In the same pan, saute onion in butter until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in remaining flour until blended. Gradually add broth; stir in bay leaf and beef. Bring to a boil.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Cut vegetables into 1-in. pieces; stir into stew. Cover and bake 1-1/2 to 2 hours longer or until beef and vegetables are tender. Skim fat and discard bay leaf. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
1-1/2 cup: 405 calories, 23g fat (7g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 770mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein
Reviews for Baked Stew with Root Vegetables
"Very good stew recipe. Flavour went through the vegetables nicely. Meat was very tender and tasty. I added a few potatoes and just used regular stewing beef."