Baked Stew with Root Vegetables Recipe
This hearty, savory stew will fill you up without emptying your wallet! —Barb Templin, Norwood, Minnesota
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 celery ribs
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 small rutabaga, peeled
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 3/4 cup flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, brown beef in oil in batches. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In the same pan, saute onion in butter until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in remaining flour until blended. Gradually add broth; stir in bay leaf and beef. Bring to a boil.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Cut vegetables into 1-in. pieces; stir into stew. Cover and bake 1-1/2 to 2 hours longer or until beef and vegetables are tender. Skim fat and discard bay leaf. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
1-1/2 cups: 405 calories, 23g fat (7g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 770mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein.
Reviews for Baked Stew with Root Vegetables
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC