This is the only way my kids will eat spinach! The dip can be made ahead and chilled. Place in the bread shell and bake just before company arrives.—Shauna Dittrick, Leduc, Alberta
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dill weed
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 round loaf (1 pound) unsliced sourdough bread
- Assorted fresh vegetables
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and mayonnaise until blended. Stir in the spinach, cheese, bacon, onion, dill and garlic; set aside.
- Cut a 1-1/2-in. slice off top of bread; set aside. Carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Cube removed bread and place on a baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown; set aside.
- Fill bread shell with spinach dip; replace top. Place any dip that doesn't fit in shell in a greased baking dish. Wrap bread in heavy-duty foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until dip is heated through. Cover and bake additional dip for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Open foil carefully. Serve dip warm with vegetables and reserved bread cubes. Yield: 4 cups.
Originally published as Baked Spinach Dip in Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2005, p41
Reviews for Baked Spinach Dip in Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review