- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 pound ground beef, browned and drained, optional
- 12 ounces spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, oregano and, if desired, ground beef. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Place half of the spaghetti in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the vegetable mixture and 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a small bowl, combine soup and water until smooth; pour over casserole. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Baked Spaghetti
Sort By :
"This is virtually identical to the chicken spaghetti recipe I've been making for the past 40 years. Chicken instead of ground beef and green stuffed olives instead of black olives. It's very good either way. It's been a staple at big family dinners for decades."
"One of my family's favorite recipes. I like to use Spicy sausage in place of the ground beef, it adds lots of flavor. Our guests always want the recipe."
"I made for a Church function today and used crushed tomatoes and added another can of mushroom and a heaping teaspoon of minced garlic; but pretty much kept the rest the same. Oh, substituted wine for the water and next time will definitely add wine to the sauce. The bottom layer was too dry so will add sauce to the pasta before putting that layer down; and before adding the burger to the sauce! Probably will make more sauce -- but all in all pretty well received....Then again could probably be very good without layering and just mixing it all together -- definitely would cut prep time!"
"I fixed this last night for supper and it was absolutely DELICIOUS !!!!! I would have never thought that cream of mushroom soup on top of baked spaghetti would be good. It was a big hit at my house. :)"
"YUM!! I also don't like canned soup, I make a white sauce & add LOTS of mushrooms. I eliminate the green peppers and olives, just my preference."