- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 pound ground beef, browned and drained, optional
- 12 ounces spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, oregano and, if desired, ground beef. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Place half of the spaghetti in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the vegetable mixture and 1 cup cheddar cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a small bowl, combine soup and water until smooth; pour over casserole. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Baked Spaghetti
"This is the best baked spaghetti! It's great for the family and also perfect for making for others because everyone loves it. Something about it tastes better every time. We like it as the recipe is, but it's also good to mix sausage with the ground beef for a nice twist. Thanks so much for this favorite recipe!"
"This is THE ultimate comfort food. Anything baked spaghetti is always good!!"
"gad I love everything about the looks and sound of this, can't wait for a free night"
"Loved it, but used sausage instead of gr. meat."
"My husband liked this recipe but I didn't care that much for it. But I used canned spaghetti sauce and a can of mushrooms so maybe had I made it according to the recipe it would have been better. Don't know though as I doubt I'll try it again."
"My neighbor made this for me when I was in the hospital; of course, I had to get the recipe.. I love it!! Next time I make it, I'm going to try Italian sausage instead of ground beef."
"My entire family Loves this recipe. It is great for multiple meals"
"This recipe is very good with just a few additions, add salt & pepper to taste to the ground beef. Then add garlic to taste. Add 3/4 cup of water to the mushroom soup that you pour over the top layer. And then, cover the top layer with shredded mozzarella cheese along with the Parmesan. I also added fresh cooked mushrooms to the meat/diced tomato mix. Now you go from good to great! This version is tastier and more moist than original."
"Loved it! Used red peppers since I had no green ones and also left out black olives. Would be great for a pot luck or just feeding a group of friends. Keeper!"