Baked Southern Grits Recipe
Karen Mau of Jacksboro, Tennessee turns a southern favorite into a tasty low-fat dish. Jalepeno peppers add a welcome kick while reduced-fat cheese creates a rich texture.
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 4 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped, divided
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add grits; cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk egg whites and eggs. Stir a small amount of hot grits into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir in the cheese, milk, jalapenos, garlic salt, pepper and half of the onions.
- 3. Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining onions. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup: 158 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 300mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
Reviews for Baked Southern Grits
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC