Baked Southern Grits Recipe
Karen Mau of Jacksboro, Tennessee turns a southern favorite into a tasty low-fat dish. Jalepeno peppers add a welcome kick while reduced-fat cheese creates a rich texture.
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 4 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped, divided
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add grits; cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg whites and eggs. Stir a small amount of hot grits into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir in the cheese, milk, jalapenos, garlic salt, pepper and half of the onions.
- Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining onions. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Baked Southern Grits in Light & Tasty February/March 2008, p45
Reviews for Baked Southern Grits(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Breakfast Egg Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Brunch Egg Recipes >
- Cajun Recipes >
- Cajun Vegetarian Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Comfort Food Breakfast Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Diabetic Breakfast Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Egg Recipes >
- Eggs Recipes >
- Healthy Breakfast Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Breakfast Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Hot Cereal Recipes >
- Low Fat Breakfast Recipes >