- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3-1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- In a large bowl, combine the onions, bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls; place on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, arrange bread in a single layer in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish (all of the bread might not be used). Combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, Italian seasoning and pepper; spread over the bread. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella.
- Combine the spaghetti sauce, water and garlic; add meatballs. Pour over cheese mixture; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Baked Simple Meatball Stroganoff
"This was pretty good, with the changes I made. I toasted the bread, but it was still kinda mushy, so I'll toast both sides next time in my toaster oven. I also used only 1/2 of the cream cheese, and had plenty left over. My husband tasted it out of the bowl, and requested a salad so that he could have some of the cream cheese mix on it! LOL! In this size pan, I was only able to put in about 7 slices, so you really can use some left over Italian bread. I also made my own meatball recipe. Tried and true around here! And the 4 1/2 cups sauce is really only about 1 jar of sauce. Again, you can pick out your favorite flavors to make it your own. And, I also didn't use the water."
"The taste of this dish is good, but the consistency is terrible. The bread turns into a mushy mess. If I ever tried this again (which I probably won't) I would leave out the cup of water."
"This was really very good. I used premade frozen turkey meatballs and a homemade sourdough loaf that was past its prime. Did not use as much water as recommended. Will definitely make again!"
"YUM!! I will make this again BUT instead of cutting the bread in slices I will cube them. It'll be easier to serve."
"Very tasty, my family loves it..."