- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) salmon, drained, bones and skin removed
- 1-1/2 cups soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon capers, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- Dash lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients. Place 1/3 cup salmon mixture into eight muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- Meanwhile, combine the sauce ingredients. Serve with salmon. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Baked Salmon Cakes
"I made these as mini-muffins (24) for dinner last night. You don't need to worry about "skin & bones" because they mix-up very easily with a fork -- or use a mixer if you choose! I drained about 90% of the liquid off; but next time will incorporate all. I only had panko bread crumbs so that could be why they turned out a bit dry. Next time I will definitely use all the liquid and probably add a bit of sour cream and some sort of cheese to the mix as others have suggested. They easily came out of the mini-muffin tin after "resting" about 5 minutes & they were cooked for ~15 minutes."
"Made these for supper last night. I had to improvise because there were no soft bread crumbs or green onions in the house. I used chopped vidalia sweet onions and Italian bread crumbs instead. They were a hit. They are healthy and will be on the menu regularly."
"With reference to the last review by apsimon23--I have bought small cans of salmon from Sam's Club and there are absolutely no bones."
"Against my better judgment, I followed the recipe as is and used the canned salmon. What a pain! I couldn't possibly get all the tiny bones out and my family refused to touch it. If I ever try this again, it will be with the boneless salmon in the pouch. Not much more expensive and a whole lot less work."
"I loved the baked method. It's so much easier and healthier than frying, yet the cakes were still perfectly crispy on the outside."