Baked Salisbury Steak
In her Newton, Kansas kitchen, Elsie Epp bakes ground beef patties in a mushroom soup gravy to create this mild, moist main course that's a mere 66 cents a serving. "This recipe is easy and quick," she notes. "I get compliments whenever I serve it."
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup each chopped green pepper, celery and onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed golden mushroom or cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, eggs, green pepper, celery, onion
- and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight
- oval patties. In a large skillet, brown patties on both sides;
- Place patties in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine the
- soup, water and pepper; pour over beef. Cover and bake at 350°
- for 30-35 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink. Yield: 8
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.