- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Additional Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, sauce, paste, water, mushrooms, parsley, garlic and seasonings. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and toss with butter. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, ricotta and Parmesan cheese. Stir into rigatoni mixture. Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish; top with tomato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Baked Rigatoni
Sort By :
"Would this fit in a 13-in x 9-in dish. I did not see size of dish specified. Apologies if I missed it"
"We really liked this! We used a 13.25 ounce box of whole wheat penne instead of rigatoni. Highly recommend!~ Theresa"
"I made this for the first time with tomatoes with green chilis as that was all I had. I also added a layer of ground meat before I added the sauce. Everyone absolutely loved it. Later on I made again with recipe as is and it did taste like it was missing something, very bland. Try it the way I made it the first time and you too will be a fan."
"This was okay. The sauce smells fantastic simmering on the stove, but the final product seemed to lack something. All in all a comforting meal on a cold winter day."
"to replace the ricotta cheese i use cottage cheese and mozzarella cheese. i mix them together to to taste and it really good and not stronge.dee knightst.albans, wv"