This recipe is perfect for potlucks or church suppers since it produces a big batch and has flavors with broad appeal. Most folks can't guess that the secret ingredient is chicken noodle soup mix. -Naomi Flood, Emporia, Kansas
- 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 4-1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup dry chicken noodle soup mix
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, celery, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil; add dry soup mix. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until the noodles are tender. Stir in canned soup, rice and sausage mixture; mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over rice mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until rice is tender. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Baked Rice with Sausage in Taste of Home February/March 2000, p33
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Baked Rice with Sausage
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review