Baked Ratatouille Recipe
This recipe is heavenly when made with homegrown vegetables. It's so good, I sometimes make the casserole all for myself, then eat it for lunch a few days in a row.—Catherine Lee, Chandler, Arizona
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 4 bacon strips, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 large eggplant (about 1-1/4 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, cut into strips
- 8 to 12 ounces sliced Monterey Jack cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, oil, garlic, salt and Italian seasoning.
- 2. Spread half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the eggplant, zucchini, green pepper and cheese. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 50-55 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
1/2 cup equals 250 calories, 17 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 607 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC