Baked Ratatouille Boats Recipe
- 2 cups cubed eggplant
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium green peppers
- 4 ounces reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese or part-skim mozzarella cheese, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh marjoram or 3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1. Place eggplant and zucchini in a large bowl; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and toss to coat. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse with cold water; drain and pat dry.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add eggplant mixture, tomatoes, pepper and remaining salt. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- 3. Meanwhile, cut green peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Place about 3 tablespoons eggplant mixture in each pepper half; top with a piece of cheese and sprinkle with marjoram. Top with tomato sauce and remaining eggplant mixture.
- 4. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until peppers are tender. Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over peppers. Bake, uncovered, 3-5 minutes longer or until topping is golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
1 stuffed pepper half equals 128 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 430 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.