Baked Potato Soup
"A good friend who runs a bed-and-breakfast game me this creamy potato soup recipe that's become a winter favorite," recalls Kristi Teague of Southside, Tennessee. "A dash of hot sauce a little basil give it special flavor."
4-5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 large potatoes, baked, peeled and cubed (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1
- tablespoon drippings. Set bacon aside. Saute onion and garlic in the
- drippings until tender. Stir in flour, salt, basil and pepper.
- Gradually add broth. Bring to boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add
- the potatoes, cream and hot pepper sauce; heat through but do not
- boil. Garnish with bacon, cheese and parsley. Yield: 4-5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 290 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 1,166 mg sodium,