Baked Potato Cheddar Soup Recipe
A few simple kitchen staples makes for an impressive soup. Use a better-quality yellow cheddar cheese; it adds greater depth of color and flavor to this dish. —Kristin Reynolds, Van Buren, Arkansas
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 large potatoes, baked, peeled and coarsely mashed (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions, divided
- Crumbled cooked bacon, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, whisk flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the potatoes, 1/3 cup cheese, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream and 1/4 cup onions until blended. Cover; cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until heated through (do not boil). Garnish with remaining cheese and onions and, if desired, bacon. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cups (calculated without bacon) equals 392 calories, 15 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 469 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 14 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC