Baked Potato Cheddar Soup
A few simple kitchen staples makes for an impressive soup. Use a better-quality yellow cheddar cheese; it adds greater depth of color and flavor to this dish. —Kristin Reynolds, Van Buren, Arkansas
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 large potatoes, baked, peeled and coarsely mashed (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions, divided
- Crumbled cooked bacon, optional
- In a large saucepan, whisk flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a
- boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the
- potatoes, 1/3 cup cheese, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for
- 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream and 1/4 cup onions until
- blended. Cover; cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until
- heated through (do not boil). Garnish with remaining cheese, onions
- and, if desired, bacon. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/4 cups (calculated without bacon) equals 392 calories, 15 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 469 mg sodium,