Lean shredded pork and pinto beans combine with south-of-the-border ingredients like green chilies and picante sauce in these from-scratch chimichangas. "Because my recipe makes a lot, I can freeze them for those nights when I don't feel like cooking," informs field editor LaDonna Reed of Ponca City, Oklahoma.
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 pounds), trimmed
- 3 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 30 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 cups picante sauce
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons water
- Place beans in a stockpot; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- Place roast in a Dutch oven. In a large bowl, combine the chillies, onion, chili powder and beans. Spoon over roast. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Stir in broth; cover and bake 30-45 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 145°. Remove meat; let stand 10 minutes.
- Shred meat with two forks; set aside. Mash bean mixture; stir in shredded pork. Spoon 1/3 cup mixture down the center of each tortilla; top with 2 tablespoons cheese and 1 tablespoon picante sauce. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up. Place seam side down on two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg white and water; brush over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Serve immediately or cool, wrap and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen chimichangas: Place chimichangas on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Baked Pork Chimichangas in Taste of Home December/January 2004, p47
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Baked Pork Chimichangas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review