I love nothing more than a cold beer and a shucked oyster, so when my partners and I opened Saw’s Juke Joint in Birmingham, Alabama, we wanted to add them to the menu. We love making them, we love serving them and our guests love eating them. We take a lot of pride in our food, particularly this dish. Apalachicola oysters are the best! We wouldn’t make this dish without them. —Taylor Hicks, Las Vegas, Nevada
Featured In: Classy Appetizers for Your Oscars Party
- 4 slices white bread
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 ounces tasso ham or fully cooked chorizo, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 to 2 dashes Louisiana-style hot sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 dozen fresh oysters in the shell, scrubbed
- Preheat oven to 300°. Place bread on an ungreased baking sheet; bake 8-10 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Break bread into smaller pieces; place in a food processor. Pulse until coarse crumbs form. Transfer to a small bowl. Add melted butter, salt and pepper; toss to combine.
- In a large skillet, cook ham over medium heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until tender. Stir in cream. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, stirring occasionally. Add hot sauce; season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm.
- Increase oven setting to 350°. Shuck oysters, leaving oysters in the half-shell. Arrange on a rack in a shallow baking pan; sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake 8-10 minutes or until topping is golden brown and oysters are plump. Top with sauce just before serving. Yield: 1 dozen (1-1/2 cups sauce).
Originally published as Baked Oysters with Tasso Cream in Taste of Home Recipes Across America 2013, p155
Reviews for Baked Oysters with Tasso Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review