Baked Orange Souffle Recipe
This souffle with a distinctive orange flavor makes a light ending to any meal.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 to 1-1/4 teaspoons orange extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. Separate eggs; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Coat a 1-1/2-qt. souffle dish with 1 teaspoon butter and lightly sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar; set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining butter. Stir in flour, 1/4 cup sugar and salt until blended. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the orange peel, extract and remaining butter.
- 3. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the bowl, stirring constantly. Allow to cool slightly.
- 4. In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- 5. With a spatula, stir 1 cup of the whites into the orange batter until no white streaks remain. Fold in remaining egg whites until combined. Transfer to prepared dish.
- 6. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until the top is puffed and center appears set. Serve immediately. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 168 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 0g fiber), 5g protein .
Reviews for Baked Orange Souffle
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC