- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen broccoli-cauliflower blend, thawed
- 4 orange roughy fillets (6 ounces each)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Place rice in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with the vegetables and fish. Pour the broth and tomatoes over the top; sprinkle with seasonings.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork and rice is tender. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Baked Orange Roughy and Rice
"I certainly didn't get any complaints from family but no hurrahs either. I doubled the bag of frozen veggies for more nutrition and used converted rice for better texture. Of course, because of that, I increased the broth as well. It just needed more pizzazz overall, I guess. More seasonings? I don't know."
"This dish is absolutely amazing. I usually toy with a recipe, but this time I didn't, and boy was I glad. DON'T change a thing. If you can find Muir Glen brand fire roasted tomatoes, buy em. They are excellent. As for the cheese, I went with mild cheddar and it was a nice compliment to the dish. Last thought is, just make this dish, you will be glad you did."
"I prepared this recipe using tilapia and frozen broccoli. My family does not care for cauliflower. I also doubled the recipe. Everyone enjoyed the dish and I will definitely be making this weekly because it is so easy to prepare and easy clean-up."
"I substituted tilapia and was very disappointed in the result. My family did not care for the seasoning or preparation. We enjoyed the rice and vegetables with a turkey sandwich."
"I am going to try this dish using talapia - I heard the same thing about Orange Roughy, but I often substitute fish I have on hand for recipes.I do wonder why ToH recipes don't all have caloric/carb content. Yes, I can break down recipes by ingredient - but it is still disappointing, even knowing these are home cook recipes."
"Can't wait to try this"
"I haven't made this yet but am always looking for different fish recipes. I have not seen orange roughly around here lately, either, so I think I will substitute cod."
"Does anyone know where to find Orange Roughy? Here in California I've been told this fish is almost extinct due to over fishing. Don't know if this is true or not but I would sure like to be able to get it again. It is my favorite fish."
"I agree, need the nutritional information! hmmmm....I need to rate it to submit my review, but I didn't make it. I just want to add that I might very well make it had it had the nutritional information included"
"Yes chicken thighs,boneless,skinless sounds very good ,excellent recipe."