Baked Onion Rings
"If you love onion rings but not the fat from deep-frying them, try baking them," suggests Marilyn Lee of Richmond, Missouri. The crisp rings round out lunch...or make a scrumptious snack.
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 large sweet onions
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Cut onions into 1/2-in. slices; separate into rings. In a shallow
- dish, whisk eggs. In another shallow dish, combine the cornflake
- crumbs, sugar, paprika, garlic salt and seasoned salt. Dip onion
- rings into eggs, then coat with cornflake mixture.
- Arrange rings in a single layer on greased baking sheets. Bake at
- 375° for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 5 onino rings equals 98 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 241 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.