Baked Mushrooms with Spinach Recipe
I love special side dishes like this that are so easy to prepare. It's great served alongside any roasted meat. —Shirley Hammond, New Albany, Indiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 pound large fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1. Place spinach in a greased 8-in. square baking dish; set aside. Remove stems from mushrooms. Set caps aside; chop stems. Saute chopped mushrooms and onion in 2 tablespoons butter; spoon over spinach. Sprinkle with bacon. Top with mushroom caps. Melt remaining butter; brush over caps.
- 2. In a large saucepan, combine the milk, cheese, mustard, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until cheese is melted; pour over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 166 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 392 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC