Baked Mostaccioli Recipe
- 8 ounces uncooked mostaccioli
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 to 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 °. Cook mostaccioli according to package directions; drain and set aside. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Drain.
- 2. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste, mushrooms, water, salt, sugar, basil, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Discard bay leaf. Stir in mostaccioli. Spoon half into a 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese; layer with remaining meat mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- 4. Cover and bake 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 piece equals 271 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 593 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.