Baked Mexican Lasagna Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 10 to 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups (16 ounces) small curd 4% cottage cheese, drained
- 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne, salt, pepper and tomatoes; heat through. Cover bottom and sides of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish with tortillas.
- 2. Pour beef mixture over tortillas; place a layer of tortillas over meat mixture and set aside. Combine cottage cheese, Monterey Jack cheese and egg; pour over tortillas.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle rows of cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, green onions and olives diagonally across center of casserole. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 381 calories, 19 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 101 mg cholesterol, 785 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 30 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.