Baked Mexican Lasagna Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 10 to 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups (16 ounces) small curd 4% cottage cheese, drained
- 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne, salt, pepper and tomatoes; heat through. Cover bottom and sides of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish with tortillas.
- Pour beef mixture over tortillas; place a layer of tortillas over meat mixture and set aside. Combine cottage cheese, Monterey Jack cheese and egg; pour over tortillas.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle rows of cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, green onions and olives diagonally across center of casserole. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Baked Mexican Lasagna
Sort By :
"I have had this recipe clipped out for 25 years. I started making it when I was 7 yrs old with my mom. It became a regular staple that I made on my night to cook dinner and has now become a family favorite with my husband and kids. In fact, 2 dishes of it is on our Christmas menu this year. I'd love to submit a picture of it, but am not sure how. I have the original clipping from 1989."
"I got this recipe when it was first printed in 1989 in Country Woman magazine. I have made it hundreds of times over the years and get raves from everyone who trys it."
"Great recipe! I used lb. ground turkey plus a can of pork and beans (drained) to add a little extra to the meat. Tasted great!"
"This recipe is SO good! I use ground turkey and low fat cottage cheese to reduce the calories even more! Delicious!"
"I get rave reviews every time I make this dish. It is not hard to make and absolutely delicious. The perfect comfort food for anyone who enjoys Mexican cuisine!"