Meet the Cook: Back almost 30 years ago, when I was an Indiana farmer's daughter and a 4-H'er, this won me champion honors at the county fair - then a blue ribbon at the state fair! To this day, my husband tells me it's the best thing that I make. -Marna Krause, Las Vegas, Nevada
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3-1/4 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the milk, butter, eggs, sugar, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 14-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Combine filling ingredients; spread over each rectangle to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Place seam side down on greased baking sheets. With a sharp knife, cut each roll in half lengthwise; carefully turn cut sides up. Loosely twist strips around each other, keeping cut sides up. Shape into a ring and pinch ends together. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 coffee cakes.
Originally published as Maple Butter Twists in Country Woman July/August 1995, p33
Reviews for Baked Maple Butter Twists
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review