Baked Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute the onion in 1/2 cup butter. Add the flour; whisk until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened. Stir in the cheese, mustard, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Drain macaroni and add to sauce; stir until coated. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Melt the remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over macaroni mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Baked Mac and Cheese
Sort By :
Us Adults liked it, the Teenagers said it tasted good but they didnt like the way it left the roof of there mouths feel? We used Tillamook Sharp ... Would make it again f!
This recipe is great! The only change I made was that I used yellow mustard instead of brown (I didn't have any brown). It was SO good. The only thing, you may want to half this. This makes A LOT! But great recipe!
This is an awesome recipe. I used a horseradish mustard and added fresh garlic for a little extra flavor!!!
I had an extra half a box of elbow macaroni in the pantry & tossed it in. And I boiled my macaroni the night before, rinsed it in cold water then put in fridge. The next day when I made the cheese sauce I slowly added in the prepared in advance macaroni and saved time. I served it to my book club and everyone loved it. Thank you for my next go-to recipe and making me a star. Didn't really change anything in the sauce.
Made this recipe today and it was quite easy, hardly and dishes used, YEAAHH!!, but i found the mixture to be a little to thick, and when mixed it turned out goopy, it was my first time, so hope it comes out a little better next time!!, oh and is taste delicous!!....RECOMMENDED