Baked Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute the onion in 1/2 cup butter. Add the flour; whisk until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened. Stir in the cheese, mustard, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Drain macaroni and add to sauce; stir until coated. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Melt the remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over macaroni mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Rutherford Hill Chardonnay 2012 Napa Valley, a full-bodied classic California Chardonnay with the perfect touch of oak. Buy now and get 6 bottles for $99.99. Order Now
Reviews for Baked Mac and Cheese
Sort By :
It's not done baking yet, but I couldn't get enough of the cheese sauce. It has to be the best tasting cheese sauce I've ever made and it's very creamy. I kept eating the left over sauce in the pan before washing it. I changed some parts about this, I always use Dijon Mustard for cheese sauce. And I used Mild Cheddar instead of sharp, I think it allows me to use less salt. All I did was a dash of salt and pepper and it tasted perfect. That was ALOT of cheese! I didn't put all of it in the sauce, and instead sprinkled it on top with the bread crumbs. Also, I thought a whole stick of butter was a lot...So I didn't do the butter and bread crumb thing.
Us Adults liked it, the Teenagers said it tasted good but they didnt like the way it left the roof of there mouths feel? We used Tillamook Sharp ... Would make it again f!
This recipe is great! The only change I made was that I used yellow mustard instead of brown (I didn't have any brown). It was SO good. The only thing, you may want to half this. This makes A LOT! But great recipe!
This is an awesome recipe. I used a horseradish mustard and added fresh garlic for a little extra flavor!!!
I had an extra half a box of elbow macaroni in the pantry & tossed it in. And I boiled my macaroni the night before, rinsed it in cold water then put in fridge. The next day when I made the cheese sauce I slowly added in the prepared in advance macaroni and saved time. I served it to my book club and everyone loved it. Thank you for my next go-to recipe and making me a star. Didn't really change anything in the sauce.