Baked Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 6 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 4-1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute the onion in 1/2 cup butter. Add the flour; whisk until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened. Stir in the cheese, mustard, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Drain macaroni and add to sauce; stir until coated. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Melt the remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over macaroni mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Baked Mac and Cheese(20)
Sort By :
This recipe is great! The only change I made was that I used yellow mustard instead of brown (I didn't have any brown). It was SO good. The only thing, you may want to half this. This makes A LOT! But great recipe!
This is an awesome recipe. I used a horseradish mustard and added fresh garlic for a little extra flavor!!!
I had an extra half a box of elbow macaroni in the pantry & tossed it in. And I boiled my macaroni the night before, rinsed it in cold water then put in fridge. The next day when I made the cheese sauce I slowly added in the prepared in advance macaroni and saved time. I served it to my book club and everyone loved it. Thank you for my next go-to recipe and making me a star. Didn't really change anything in the sauce.
Made this recipe today and it was quite easy, hardly and dishes used, YEAAHH!!, but i found the mixture to be a little to thick, and when mixed it turned out goopy, it was my first time, so hope it comes out a little better next time!!, oh and is taste delicous!!....RECOMMENDED
I've tried a few baked mac and cheese recipes and this is now my go-to recipe! It's delicious! I made it with the sharp white cheddar as reccommended and did add a couple dashes of paprika and hot sauce to give it a bit more flavor, but other than that stuck to the recipe and it was great! Makes a full 13x9 pan, and is very affordable compared to recipes with tons of expensive cheeses!!!