- 4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute the onion in 1/2 cup butter. Add the flour; whisk until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened. Stir in the cheese, mustard, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Drain macaroni and add to sauce; stir until coated. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Melt the remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over macaroni mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Baked Mac and Cheese
"I have been looking for a great tasting mac and cheese recipe for a long time. This one surpasses all I have tried. I would definitely make it again. My husband loved it as well."
"I made this using gluten-free ingredients (noodles, flour, etc.) and it was amazing!!! Definitely a "bake and take" for church functions!! I love it."
"My husband and I both really loved this recipe! I cut it in half and added Velveeta cheese in as well. Next time I may even add leftover ham in too."
"Made this for a potluck, and I thought it tasted great, except for the onions. I would use about half the amount of onions next time."
"Made this yesterday for thanksgiving. The only things I changed were that I added 2 cups of elbow noodles and 1 extra cup of cheese. It turned out AMAZING!! everyone loved it. It will definately be on the list for holiday side dishes from now on :)"